Steven Lee Waldemer

On September 30, 2014, Steven Lee Waldemer entered pleas of guilty to two separate indictments accusing him of Aggravated Battery on a Peace Officer, Aggravated Assault on a Peace Officer (3 counts), Harming a Police Dog, Possession of Explosives by a Convicted Felon, Sexual Battery, and other related charges.  Waldemer also consented to a forfeiture of his real property where the crimes occurred and other personal property.  Basically, Waldemer received sentences of fifty years with the first twenty-five years to be served in custody.

On June 12, 2014, a female neighbor of Steven Waldemer came to Waldemer’s residence in the Head River community of Walker County with her seven year old son.  While the son was outside feeding some goats, Waldemer physically assaulted her and told the woman he intended to have sex with her.  The woman cried out for her son who rushed back to his mother.  Waldemer struck the son in the head, knocking him to the floor.  The woman pulled her son outside with her.  Waldemer chased her down and wrestled her to the ground and put her in a chokehold.  He forced her back into the residence.  Using the threat of a shotgun and a handgun, Waldemer forced the woman to submit to various sexual acts.  Eventually, she prevailed upon Waldemer to release her upon a promise that she would not say anything about what had happened.

Shortly after securing her release from Waldemer, the victim notified local authorities of what had occurred.  It was discovered that Waldemer was on parole out of Idaho for a kidnapping.  Given the fact that Waldemer was heavily armed, the Walker County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team together with local parole officers mobilized to serve a parole warrant and a sexual assault warrant on Waldemer at his residence.  After Waldemer refused the police commands via loud speaker to come out, officers deployed pepper spray canisters into the residence.  Waldemer still refused to come out.  Finally officers approached the residence and shouted they were sending a police K9 into the house.  Waldemer shot the police dog, “Tanja”, as she entered the house with a shotgun blast that also injured Deputy Donnie Brown.  Tanja died as a result of the shooting.  Waldemer escaped out a back window and was ultimately arrested nearby.  Waldemer had a SKS rifle in his possession at the time of arrest.  At his residence, Waldemer had a large quantity of explosive materials and firearms.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Beth Evans and the Defendant was represented by John Robert Greco of Marietta, Georgia.

Comments are closed.